Monday, June 11, 2012

Robbers and Vandals and Thieves—Oh My!


Boy, do I have a story for you. You remember all that time I raved about how much I loved living in the city? Well, now the city is trying to make me eat my words. Sunday morning, I went out to my car to go to ward council, and what do I find but a car full of shattered glass. My poor Little Boy Blue suffered one of the worst experiences a car can have: a smash and grab. That’s right folks—welcome to the west side of town.

So after a small freak-out and a heartfelt prayer, I called my dad, my relief society president, and the Salt Lake PD. When the officer came, I reported the crime and gave an estimation of what I thought the thief(s) took when they broke my window and snatched my backpack:
  •  Knock-off Ray-ban sunglasses from Madagascar
  •  Four or five CDs, some in French (Joke’s on them because they won’t understand the lyrics!)
  •  A small Book of Mormon that my mission president gave me  
  • The book Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (I was only half-way through!)
  • Two opera scores from the BYU library
  •  A mezzo-soprano aria songbook  A portfolio of all the other music I’ve ever sung
The officer went around to the surrounding garbage cans looking for my belongings. I was hoping he would find some stuff because I thought there’s no way an eighteen-year old boy would want the musical score to La Bohème. But the officer came up empty-handed. So I literally swept up the pieces of my car (it being all glass), and got on with my day. Luckily, a few friends helped me clean out my glass-covered seats, dashboard, carpet, cup-holders, steering wheel and gear-shift.  After church, yet another friend came by with a shop vacuum that sucked up all of the remaining, tiny pieces of dangerous glass.

This morning, I realized that the deductible on my insurance would probably be more than the actual amount needed to repair the broken window, so with thoughts of spending about $300 today, I set off for the glass shop. I handed over my keys and headed to a nearby Taco Time to wait with my book. I thought, “Well, this is pretty low. Reading a romance novel while waiting in a Taco Time for over an hour, sipping just a lemonade the entire time because you shouldn’t buy a $4 taco if you’re about to pay $300 for a new window, while other, more privileged customers in wife-beaters and miniskirts enjoy their pricey, seven-layer burritos. Oh, the shame.”

But the story gets better. Really, it does. My mom called me and told me that a nice man in Rose Park had miraculously found some of my papers and had them at his house. Apparently, his neighbors had a rowdy party last night, and some of their loot (a.k.a. my prized possessions) had landed in his gutter. I was so grateful thinking that maybe I would get even a few of my things back. When I got to his house (forcing myself to drive down the street where Little Boy Blue’s ferocious violators live), I saw all the contents of my backpack on this man’s living room floor. Literally, all of them.  My Book of Mormon. My portfolio of music. My library books. My songbooks. And every small scrap of paper that was in my backpack.  Those punks had even dumped out my grammar flashcards that I left in my bag in case of editing/grammar emergencies. I know—I’m a total square.

So, after the whole ordeal, I only had to pay $200 to have the window replaced, and the only things I really lost were my backpack (which went to Madagascar and is incredibly old and beaten up) and my sunglasses from Madagascar. That’s it. A large miracle, in and of itself. So, my life may not be peachy keen here in SLC, but I know that Heavenly Father hears my prayers. And I know that He looks out for me in the large stuff and the small stuff. I’ve decided I’ve got nothing to complain about. I might as well laugh about it now and enjoy the new, sparkly, clean window in my car. One less thing for me to wash, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment